Volunteer Code of Conduct
The code of conduct sets out the standards of behaviour required of all volunteers placed overseas through Lattitude Global Volunteering. The code of conduct is designed to ensure that all volunteers are aware of their obligations and responsibilities and to help them achieve the most of their placement in a safe manner.
Undertaking a volunteering placement overseas is challenging, and every young person responds differently to these challenges. The code of conduct ensures that the organisations and partners we work with are treated with respect and that consideration is given to other cultural aspects during the placement.
All volunteers are required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct. Any breaches of the Code of Conduct may result in a volunteer’s placement being terminated without compensation.
Lattitude expects that every Volunteer will:
- be willing to make a difference to others and demonstrate team working, adaptability, resourcefulness, communication and cross-cultural awareness.
- be mindful at all times of their responsibilities to the placement, host country and Lattitude.
- treat others with respect and courtesy at all times.
- take responsibility for their personal health & safety and wellbeing.
During my placement I will:
- act in a responsible manner at all times and as a role model to other volunteers and to those in my care or with whom I work.
- take on the duties and tasks assigned to me and will follow the procedures and guidelines at my placement including protecting the rights and well-being of children, young people or vulnerable adults with whom I will be working.
- follow and respect expectations set in my placement accommodation or by my host family.
- always obtain agreement in advance for any period of leave and always return to my placement by the agreed date and time.
- follow the procedures outlined in the Lattitude Terms and Conditions should I encounter any problem or issue or should I wish to leave my placement before the agreed finish date.
Laws of host country
- I will be open-minded about cultural differences, respectful of the cultural context in my host country and always consider if my actions are appropriate to any situation; dress and behave in a culturally sensitive manner.
- I will avoid involvements in party politics and refrain from public comment and/or demonstrations on political, cultural and religious matters.
- I will not undertake paid work whilst on my volunteer placement, nor any paid work in addition to my volunteer placement that would be in breach of my visa
Security Risks, Personal Health and Emergencies
- I will participate fully in safety & security briefings pre-departure and in-country.
- I will follow the advice relating to safety and security given by my host, by Lattitude, the local community and by my own government.
- I will ensure that my placement host, host family and Lattitude Country Manager know where I can be contacted, and are informed about any travel plans in advance.
- I will check travel advice regularly and will make myself aware of local events.
- I will contact a member of Lattitude staff immediately if I feel unsafe at any time or need advice regarding safety and security.
- I will provide Lattitude and my host with emergency contacts and keep these up to date.
- I will seek advice from my placement host if I am unwell and will pay attention to health advice given by Lattitude if I require further medical attention.
- I will keep Lattitude informed if my health status changes or requires further assessment for my placement.
Reputation and Representation
- I acknowledge that my attitude, behaviour and actions during placement and outside of my assigned volunteer work time may reflect on my, my host placement and Lattitude.
- I agree to act in ways which are positive for all parties and to refrain from misconduct or wrongdoing which may bring Lattitude, my host placement or my home country into disrepute at any time, whether in person, online or through social media throughout the entirety of my stay in my host country.
Breach of the Code of Conduct
I acknowledge that a serious breach of the Code of Conduct, including but not restricted to the following, may lead to immediate dismissal from my placement and from the Lattitude programme:
- Breaking the laws of the host placement country and/or not abiding by the regulations governing my visa.
- Possessing, using, or supplying drugs or illegal or banned substances.
- Failure to abide by any rules set by a placement host or host family regarding alcohol consumption and/or poor behaviour relating to persistent or excessive use of alcohol
- Any verbal or physical abuse towards another volunteer, or any member of staff or of the public, including online and on social media.
- Possessing a weapon or threatening to use one.
- Any sexual abuse or assault.
- Theft of money and/or possessions
- Action which causes serious or potential danger to anybody else
- Action that is discriminatory towards others based on age, gender, sexual orientation, religion and belief, race or disability.
- Not undertaking the responsibilities and tasks assigned at the placement or not performing the role or meeting expectations of the host.